Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I chose the road...to a long layover in London




I had made every attempt possible to organize things in such a way that my last 48 hours in the US could be as peaceful and smooth a transition as possible. Ha. Ha. Ha. God mocks me.



Sunday afternoon in the midst of many goodbyes both my brother, whom I was living with and my boyfriend, tested positive for the Flu. I ended up spending my last Sunday in the US running around Montgomery trying to say my final good-byes to my best friends and my parents, before going to play nurse to a flu patient all night. Sweats, chills, taking temperature, giving Tylenol, fluids, repeat. No sleep. Not exactly how I envisioned spending my final moments with my loved ones, but what can I say, I was born to take care of people and NOTHING pleases me more.
After a restless night of up and down, I drug myself out of bed Monday morning and began my last few errands before departing for Atlanta. My best friend Amy had volunteered for the task of driving me the 2 ½ hours to the airport. I’m not sure she had any idea what she was getting herself into. When she arrived at my brother’s house to pick me up I procrastinated at least an hour more until finally we just had to leave. I said good-bye to my brother Sam, my boxer “Lexi”, and my boyfriend Ryan and we were bound for the Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta Airport.
I had decided to have Amy take me to Atlanta earlier in the day in case of bad traffic or weather, even though my flight was not to leave until 9:15pm. She dropped me off at the airport around 2pm and I went to check my bags a good 7 hours early. I had friends to see in Atlanta and I figured a change of scenery would do me some good from the emotional rollercoaster of a weekend I’d had. After checking my bags I hopped on the MARTA train and headed for midtown. When I sat down on the train I think it was the first time I had truly taken a breath in days. I just sat there taking it all in. People watching in peace.



Happy to be alive on a transit in Atlanta, Georgia.






My friend Keith picked me up from the MARTA station and let me relax on his couch for a couple of hours and do nothing, which was exactly what I needed before heading back to the airport to catch my plane to London.
So far there have been numerous special things that have happened to me on this journey. First on the list of special gifts happened when I was boarding my plane to London. They called my name over the intercom and I was initially concerned, but they informed me that they were upgrading me to World Traveler Plus seating free of charge! Whoohoo!!! I LOVE British Airways already! I had extra leg room and perks that I was not use to having. It was a really nice way to start off this incredibly lengthy trek.
Second on my list of special gifts was my angel. Her name was Shuran and it was her birthday. She sat next to me on my flight to London. She was from Georgia and she was tall, dark, and beautiful and was on her way to Germany to celebrate her birthday. She was wearing a tiara and we clicked instantly, both being southern girls and all. I call her my angel because she rescued me in a sense. My layover in London ended up being nearly 10 hours and I had already not slept for more than an hour at a time for the past two days. When we arrived in London she took me as her guest to the British Airways Executive Galleries Lounge, where I was able to stay for my entire layover and lay down on plush couches and nap and snack on over-priced food and drinks all day for free.



I still didn’t really get much sleep, but I was very comfortable and I wasn’t lying in an airplane terminal on cold tile floor. God is good. Thanks Shuran!!
So I left the London Heathrow Airport at 6:30pm bound for Hong Kong and that is where I sit now. I am on a plane typing a Word Document and will be posting this to my blog. My sleep schedule is so messed up. I am 8 hours into the flight. I slept for about 5 hours earlier which is the most I’ve slept consecutively in 3 days. It is about 9:00pm back home in Montgomery, so that makes it about 10:00am in Hong Kong. Everyone on this plane is sleeping except me and the lights are out and the window shades are closed. They will be serving breakfast soon, but we will arrive in Hong Kong around 1:00pm, in about 3 hours. Wow, this is CONFUSING!!





British Airways Lounge: where I waited out a 10 hour layover!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! God is definitely looking out for you! That lounge is so plush. You deserve it. Its a sign of good things to come. Eric and I watched your video again last night. He thought it was so neat. Your very own Hong Kong getaway. Small and quaint. PLease know how much I love you and how genuinely proud I am of you. You are such a special girl. I'll be writing soon.

    ReplyDelete